Sunday 8 February 2009

RETURN OF THE KING

Pete came home on Thursday night sans bag. The children were very pleased to see him and we had a pleasant little trip to Kilmarnock to get Pete some clobber to wear out on Friday night. We even had time to stop for coffee and a chat about whether he is ever coming home again. It would seem not for another year. Any longer than that and we will have to consider moving out to Malta. I've never even visited Malta so I don't know what this would entail.
Saturday meant ballet and the manic nature of organising that. The kids decided to have a mini party for daddy coming home so I made some cakes, burgers, popcorn blah di blah, laid it all out on a Barbie tablecloth on the floor and had a big picnic and watched happily N'ever After. How pleasant. Pete and I didn't last long after the children and were knocked out by 9.30pm. Back to the cakes - I noticed Alice gumming one of them to death and commented that it must be difficult to eat with her lack of teeth. Yes, she said but also they are quite hard. Hard??? But I am the Queen of Cupcakes. So, I start having a flashback to making said cakes and realise that I had not in fact added any margarine. ???????????? How do these things happen?
Sunday - the snow came late so we didn't get a chance to play. Skating went really badly. Amy blubbed the whole time and has now concluded that she should just give up. Probably wise as she has never been as into it as the other 2 and complains the whole time about being cold. I can't remedy that. So Sunday has turned into a bit nothingy really. It came and went. School holidays this week - what fun!! Got Susan and Tom coming for dinner on Tues night, lunch with Claire on Thursday and then Gordon and Carrie's wedding on Saturday. Trying to fit in going to Amazonia, swimming and soft play. Grand National all finally booked. Holidays not even decided on yet. No mobile phone yet - apparently it is stuck in snow (AH snow won't start again honest)Alice has lots of gymnastics competitions coming up. And have double booked myself on a couple of the days. The first one - 1st March - kind of clashes with A&C's birthday and the day after Alison's 40th. Great timing. Poor Amy & Caitlin - their birthday gets hijacked again. I will think of something to make up for it. The 3rd competition is on the 3rd April - Ladies Day at Aintree (aarrgghh).
So I guess the secret of single parenting is scheduling and forget having your own life - that's the bit I'm struggling with. I think because I was used to Pete being about and letting me go out occasionally by myself I got a bit used to it. Now I have to schedule me time during school hours only.
Anyway, the King awaits my presence in the upper chamber, cheerio!!!

2 comments:

Cath said...

All hail the return of the king, will elves be singing 325 verses in his honour?
All hail Queen Amanda, and Princesses Alice, Amy and Caitlin

Love the commoners
xxx

Ian C said...

Hope the king didn't leave his ring of power in the wayward luggage.